2021-04-01

Insanely Great 90s Songs You're Not Sick of: 1995


I'm not ashamed to admit I got a bit choked up assembling this list. 1995 was a seminal time in my life for many different reasons, but all the great music unleashed on the world that year is near the top of the list.

In that light, I'm going to bend the rules just a bit. A few of the songs here will be big hits off big albums by big acts, but they're all songs I can never get sick of.



Before I get started, I should note there was a huge omission from the 1994 list. The onstage shooting death of Dimebag Darrell during a Damageplan show in Ohio in 2004 was in fact the initial inspiration behind He Will Live Up in the Sky, as seen in the opening chapter and touched on throughout the story. Being an obsessive nutcase, I had obsessed a bit on the case at the time, even though I wasn't really a fan of Dimebag's music. I am, however, a huge fan of OG Sabbath, so I very much grokked this cover.


I'm also not ashamed to admit I think The Bends is a much better album than OK Computer. I do love the latter, but I will breathe my last breath secure in the knowledge that the former is objectively superior but wasn't blessed with the same full-court publicity push its sister album got. One of the best albums of the 90s IMO. Amazing to contemplate how later Radiohead albums would sound like a tape loop of a sick cat yowling along with a smoke detector that needs its battery changed.


Smashing Pumpkins dropped their magnum opus in 1995 titled I refuse to type that silly title. Here's yet another 10 megaton version of one of the album's more obscure tracks. They really turned into a ferocious live unit once D'arcy and James got their chops together. When I saw the Pump's in 1992? Not so much.


The Goog's continued to ask the musical question, "what if The Replacements didn't become a boring, corny, Boomer-bait pile of warmed-over Robbie Robertson outtakes?" Some great TwinTone-era 'Mats analogs emerged from their efforts. That would soon change, mind you.


This is another band that soon wore out their welcome with me, but that is an absolute motherfucker of a riff. I love riffs that sound like some giant, rusty machine grinding glass in a salvage yard.


Richard Patrick perfected that art when he was an indentured servant guitarist for Skinflint Reznor. Given the choice of delivering pizzas to pay his rent while in NIN or striking out on his own, he chose the latter. You all know the hit, but this is my jam off Short Bus. I often sing the chorus to myself while scrolling through Twitter.


From Goo to Foo: Dave Grohl would release his one-man band debut Foo Fighters in 1995, ultimately setting the stage for Bono-like ubiquity as the socially-acceptable rock guy for people who hate rock music. I'm a bit sick of the album but it's impossible to get sick of this video.


Primus caused a stir with some Karens when this video was played before some movie or other. The video caused such a stir with me that I contemplated suing Primus for false advertising. I wanted to like Primus more than I did because I just never felt the guitar work was up to par with the bass and drums. It's pretty good here though.


Deciding one Curve was one too few, superstar producer Butch Vig formed Curve II (later named Garbage) in 1995 with Bene Frasserit High Priestess Shirley Manson (no relation to Charles or Marilyn). Their material would get a little INXS-styled fake rock for me, but I still love this one.


Collective Soul often skirted the fake-rock frontiers and often weirdly exuded a Christian Contemporary Music aura, but were just as often redeemed by some top-tier hooks and riffs. Good tunes to drive in your Saturn SL2 (I miss that car) on a sunny day (every day was sunny in 1995).


Apparently White Zombie were so happy with "Thunder Kiss '65" that they decided to rewrite it with a little more crunch. I can't hear this song without thinking of the pilot for Millennium. Now you can't either.


Catherine Wheel unleashed another great track that should have been a bigger hit. Unfortunately, the rest of the album? Well, let's just say it wasn't their most scintillating work, which probably hampered "Way Down's" success.


David Bowie finally took the train from Suck City to the 1.Outside. It helps that stopped trying to suck up to industry scuzzbottles and got his freak back on. Brian Eno dropped by to help. This entire record is camp as fuck, as silly and pretentious as it gets, way too long and not a little cringey. In other words, it's a great return to peak Bowie form.


Trip Hop reached its high water mark with Tricky's epochal Maxinquaye. I just realized that all these female singers these days who all sound the same are knocking off Martina Copley-Bird, only without the innate smoldering eroticism. This is definitely one of my favorite 90s albums.

ONE-HIT MORE THAN YOU HAD

I look at one-hit wonders more in a metaphysical than a commercial or artistic context. There's something mystical about summoning all that energy into THAT ONE SONG that more successful artists can't match. Especially when THAT ONE SONG is an artist's only truly good song.


"In the Meantime" isn't Spacehog's only good song, but it's most definitely the only good song on Resident Alien. At least that's the impression I got after a few spins. Maybe I should give it another chance. But this one is so good they really didn't need to record anything else, did they?


Lou Barlow from Dinosaur Jr formed the Folk Implosion and had a hit with this moody morsel, on the strength of it being used in the skeeve-fest Kids, written and directed by the Skeevemaster General, Larry Clark.


Some more of that great ground-glass guitar from 1995. Great song, but nothing else they did made any kind of impression on me. But does it really need to? This is enough.


Poe did a really boring grunge version of this to wheedle some airplay, but this version is way better. She did some song with a bunch of slang from William Gibson's Sprawl era, but that just induced high levels of wince in me.


I think Cornershop did pretty well with "Brimful of Asha," but I don't like that song. However, I fucking love this song, so let's go with this instead. I first heard this on an early Sunday morning while driving the fam to see my mom in Pennsylvania. In my Saturn SL2. God, I miss that car.


These cats may have had another hit but nothing as good as this. This is actually a really good album, by the by. You can tell these guys were an old-school hard rock band blindsided by grunge. They scanned the new landscape, spotted Stone Temple Pilots over yonder and said, "Those guys. We could pull off something like what those guys are doing." 


These guys are no-hit wonders. What's more, no one ever heard of them. But it's still a great 90s rock album leavened with old-school flavoring like Alex Lifeson guitar tones and Queen-worthy backup vocals. As far as I know they were a bunch of college guys who made this album during their gap year then went off to pull down big dollars at NGOs or wherever.

Oh, and they were called F O S S I L. Maybe they would have been more successful if they just called themselves "Fossil."


Proving my theory that inside every 80s hardcore roughneck lurked a closet Adam and the Ants devotee, NYCHC icon Civ gives us this insidiously catchy song and video.


YES, YES, YES. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE SIREN?


Glad you asked. The Sibyl was so heartbroken when the Buckley kicked her to the curb that she essentially made the Twins' first unplugged project and their first long-form video her very elaborate post-breakup letters. You can actually see the hurt and despair -- practically feel it --which just makes you want to cradle her tiny frame in your arms and tell her it will be OK. Plus, the eerie prophesying, which is just business as usual.


I don't know if this is the Mandela Effect or the Shimmer or whatever, but apparently PJ Harvey might have been getting wet 'n squishy with the Buckley the same time as the Sibyl. The initiates and I are poring through the paper trail like Medieval exegetes, but it seems maybe like PJ got the boot first, shot some very nasty musical daggers at the Sibyl, and as one initiate has pointed out, may have laid a death curse down on the Buckley. 


Did I miss any of your favorite musical daggers or explicit death curses from 1995? Hit the comments and drop some links.

Don't forget The Secret Sun Institute of Advanced Synchromysticism, now holding classes in the highly strange. There's a ton of exclusive material up already and so much more on the way. 


And don't forget the all-night 90s lotus party over at SHRR...

13 comments:

  1. In 95 the Rheostatics released their art-rock masterpiece, and perhaps my favourite album of all time. Absolute majesty... I rarely listen for it is to emotionally potent for regular existence. Hard to pick a track as they all flow majestically into each other like the rugged northern Canadian landscape... but for the purposes here I'll pick BLue Hysteria....

    https://youtu.be/a3M44FoHQ7Q

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice pick. I did actually listen to that album recently driving through the rugged northern landscape...though the previous albums encapsulate a very special time of my life, I think I prefer the Don Kerr era stuff for its refinement and maturity (if refinement is a word that can be applied to the Rheos).

      Delete
  2. Primus have something unique for sure, but when the giggles had died down, there weren't much there. They should look at getting Tom Waits on lead vox permanently. Winona is a great wee track though, and video too.

    Leftfield released the seminal Leftism, giving PIL a live staple to this day with Open up.

    Throwing Muses - Bright Yellow gun (there's a live version of this from UK TV show the Word, I'll have a hunt and post it).

    Morphine - Radar
    Faith No More - Caralho Voador
    Big L - Dangerzone
    Ol' Dirty Bastard - Shimmy Shimmy Ya
    Clutch - Tight like that
    The Verve - This is music
    Beastie Boys - Square Wave in Unison

    Finally, but no means last...if you wanna take over the world, at least get everyone shaking their ass. Just like Shaggy did with Mr Boombastic. That's all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Throwing Muses live on the Word, a much magazine show for fully-steaming yoof after the pub closed on a Friday.

    https://youtu.be/NRSFxO_WdxA

    ReplyDelete
  4. '95 was a good year. Red House Painters' "Ocean Beach" was a big album for me, a melancholic tidal pool befitting my late-teen angst. Here's "San Geronimo" https://youtu.be/BxcaIFl3zE8

    Spiritualized continued to do their psychedelic, nihilistic-gospel rock thing with the immersive "Pure Phase." No better exemplar than "Medication"
    https://youtu.be/g8uzT_gASNc

    And here I'll plug my old pals Sianspheric, who carried the shoegaze torch across the Canadian indie landscape deep into the nineties and beyond. Their debut "Somnium" came out this year, equal parts dreamy and abrasive. Their live shows at the time were jaw-dropping, conveying Ummagumma-level intensity.
    https://youtu.be/FFpe_AgFmUI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are pretty great picks. I was in my 30's during this decade and felt myself come back alive with the re-invention of Rock n Roll that was happening at that time which was so great to hear after the genre had taken a huge dump on everyone in the 80's.

    Then, it died the True Death after that. Sometime in the aughts, it quietly died in some shitty back street rat hole of a studio and the corpse was dragged through prancing glitter waves of idiot wannabes and vapid corporate posers for the next 20 years. Oh, they tried to market it; told us it was alive and how great it was to be young again. Look at this hand waving the shiny thing over here. Nevermind the other hand coping a quick feel as it slides into your wallets. But they couldn't hide the stink behind all the makeup and pizzaz.

    Will it ever come again, that Great Gettin Up in the Morning Day when rock is once again reborn? Probably. But, we will all be dead and gravel by then. But, the kids will dig it and thats what's important. Rave on, descendants. I hope your in your time, you do not go quietly into that good night, peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya, this album was given to me on a tape from a friend while in a treeplanting camp up north who couldn't believe I hadn't heard of them. I listened to it in my tent that night while a thunderstorm raged around me... it was a mystical moment for me.

    What was the Sianspheric song you posted? The youtube link won't work and I'd like to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The song was turbulent.hydrodynamic. This link work? https://youtu.be/6-M3vFdPtuc.
      It's the album opener. There best work imo was Sound of the Colour of the Sun, a few years later. Tree planting up north eh? You really lived the dream.

      Delete
  7. A great selection of tracks for '95, Chris. Many with darker-edged sounds that practically embody the nineties for me, like the entire playlist of Tricky's 'Maxinquaye'. I was big into industrial, trip hop, alternative kinda vibes back then. Ain't nothing changed, I guess. Time and space actually began in the nineties. And art. That's why it rocks so friggin' hard. That first-album fire. Everything else in history is just retrocausal mind fuckery caused by Cern or Google or Netflix or whoever. True story. Probably. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, Maxinquaye is just one of those once in a lifetime experiences. I remember hearing Delphine Blue playing the original version of "Aftermath" and just being blown away by it. The album just floored me. I dug Massive and Portishead but Maxinquaye just put them in the shade.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's some more great stuff from '95!

    Radiohead -"Just"
    PJ Harvey - "To Bring You My Love"
    Bjork - "Isobel"
    Tricky - "Pumpkin" (featuring a sublime, pre-Goldfrapp Alison)
    Guided By Voices - "My Valuable Hunting Knife"
    Smashing Pumpkins - "1979" (of course)
    The Jayhawks - "Blue"
    Cornershop - "Roof Rack" (great pick, Chris, with "6am Jullander Shere"!)
    Limblifter - "Tinfoil"
    Oasis - "She's Electric"
    Morphine - "Scratch"
    Blue Rodeo - "Save Myself"
    Elastica - "Connection"
    Foo Fighters - "I'll Stick Around"
    Paul Weller- "The Changing Man"
    The Fall - "Life Just Bounces"
    Jewel - "Angel Standing By"
    Yo La Tengo - "Decora"
    Supergrass - "She's So Loose"
    Chris Isaak - "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing" (although technically it received most of its clout in '99, appearing in Eyes Wide Shut, but was originally the opening track to the Forever Blue album in '95)
    Scott Walker - "Tilt"
    Elliott Smith - "Needle in the Hay"
    Garbage - "Only Happy When It Rains"
    Rancid - "Ruby Soho"
    Blur - "The Universal"
    Son Volt - "Drown"
    David Bowie - "I'm Deranged"
    Sonic Youth - "Little Trouble Girl"
    Emmylou Harris - "Where Will I Be?"
    Green Day - "Geek Stink Breath"

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1995 was an interesting year - it was the year after Cobains death. Such a momumental cultural event was sure to produce major shockwaves in creative circles, most of them I'm convinved were subconscious. Cobain had really been the guy everyone was looking to for what to do next. He controlled the frame. And with him gone, the music seemed different. Almost like a movie when the villian dies half way through. A lot of the stuff almost seems to be a conscious or unconscious reference to the event.

    Even the usually detached and absurd Faith No More spouted the extremely cynical, even for Patton, "It's always funny until someone get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious" in the suspiciously grungy track 'Ricochet' from 95's King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime.

    But if Cobains death was the death of grunge, then the perfect epitaph was Sonic Youth's The Diamond Sea, the last track from their stellar '95 Washing Machine LP. An extraordinary 20+ minute epic that starts out as a beautiful Neil Young-esque ballad, and then ascends to pure beautiful white noise that sounds like Moore and Renaldo are tearing the fabric of reality appart- the ultimate comedown to the crazy early nineties. It's only fitting that the godfathers of the genre wrote this piece - the band that got Nirvana signed in the first place. "Time takes it's crazy toll / Mirror falling off the wall / You better look out for the looking glass girl / Cause she's gonna take you for a fall"...

    While there were many amazing albums still to come out in the decade, for me 1995 was the last great year before the rot started to set in. By 1996 the major labels had perfected marketing "teen angst" to a younger, dumber and less discerning audience and popular music slowly went back on the downhill slope to where it ended up today.

    I wholeheartedly concur with a lot of what Chris and others have mentioned already, but a few more from me:

    Red Hot Chilli Peppers - One Hot Minute
    Actually very underrated, and the only one I generally reach for these days- definitely they darkest, heaviest and most fucked up album. Key tracks : Warped, Deep Kick, One Hot Minute. Navarro kicked major ass on this record!

    FNM - King for a Day
    Not a tee on Angel Dust, but still a lot to enjoy here. They do need Jim's meat and potatoes heavy metal guitar approach to ground them, so this album kind of seems all over the place, but Trey from Mr Bungle's guitar work is still very impressive.
    Key tracks - King for a Day Fool for a lifetime, Ricochet, Cuckoo for Caca, Evidence

    Slowdive - Pygmalion
    Simply breathtaking - almost as good as Loveless, but completely different. Now rightfully regarded as a classic in experimental, ambient rock. Hard to pick a key track as they all kind of work as a suite.

    Sonic Youth - Washing Machine
    One of their very best in their long career. Worth it for Diamond Sea alone.
    Key tracks: Diamond Sea, Washing Machine, No Queen Blues

    Sepultura - Roots
    Even though I can't really handle nu-metal, this is actually pretty amazingly produced, and one of their best albums, including their classic 80s death/thrash period.


    ReplyDelete

Tell me your secret history.