2021-03-18

Let Me Play You Some of My Dreams

 

Hello. Nice to see you again. Do you have some time to sit down and listen to some of my dreams? 

No, I mean the soundtracks to my dreams. 

What's that? No, I have no idea how they were able to record them. Sometimes it's better not to ask.


"The Owl" will be familiar to old-school Secret Sun readers. The inexplicably terrifying video is hard to forget. I have no idea why's it disturbing and unsettling exactly. Maybe it's like a scary dream that doesn't sound scary at all when you describe it to someone. It just is.

 

This is a band who totally escaped my notice until fairly recently. They're from Brooklyn, which should be in range for their mind-machines to record my dreams. And here's the proof.

 I dreamt I was having sex with Natalie Portman last night. Why, I haven't a clue. Maybe I've watched Annihilation too many times. Either way, it was not unlike the state this work of genius instills.


I used to smoke myself stupid and listen to this album (Second Edition) incessantly. This final side would really put me in another dimension, and this sublimity here is pretty much a stolen soundtrack from those experiences. Absolute magic.


As many of you know already, big, weird chords on detuned keyboards always send me into a dream state. Probably a holdover from the cortexiphan trials I was subjected to when I was a boy. At least some good came of it.


I first heard this around 2 AM after a summer storm in 1979. Me and a friend of mine were getting ready to head out into the night and be little criminals so I was sleeping on the front porch. I heard this and heard the future. Also, my dreams.


Tremolo murdered me. It killed me, then cut me into pieces then put me back together. This sounds like every dream I had when I was very young all rolled into one. The dreams I had before the world came crashing down on my head, so that's real early.

Maybe it's just the residual cortexiphan. Who can tell the difference anymore? And fuck me, that coda.


This entire soundtrack and the movie it goes with are just pure dream thievery. I also can't begin to convey how in love my dreams are with Clementine. 

It... it hurts. To this day.


I heard this back around 1984 and it invaded my dreams and stayed there, I think. It's probably waiting for the right time to pop up again. Not a big Yello guy, but this is essential.


This entire album is absolute subliminal plunder, so it's hard to pick a single song that is most one of my dreams sounding. This will do nicely, though.


It's bad enough this piece is directly stolen from my childhood dreams, but then they twist the knife with this video. 

As you may already know, home movies are the saddest thing in the universe. It doesn't matter if they're yours or even anyone you know. Put on old home movies and everyone starts bawling like a baby.

Damn you, video maker. Damn you to Hell. You just enjoy watching me blubber.


I was either sleeping or super high (or both) when I first heard this album and several tracks embossed themselves on my unconscious. This is extremely potent dreaming energy, so approach with caution.


This entire album is another one that's hard to pick the most dream-larcenous track on, so I'll go with this one since it has a cool video. 


I played you mine, now play me yours.


Don't forget The Secret Sun Institute of Advanced Synchromysticism, now holding classes in the highly strange. There's a ton of exclusive material up already and so much more on the way.