2021-02-18

Let's Get Kinky

 

Kinks guitarist Dave Davies isn't just the pioneer of the power-chord riff, he's also an experiencer. His 1994 autobiography Kink tells the story of how Davies believes he was contacted telepathically by alien intelligences...

NOTE: The comments form seems to have vanished here, so you can post comments here.
All of a sudden I began hearing these strange voices talking to me, in clear and unmistakable tones. Their voices were authoritative but warm and strangely comforting, which lessened my initial alarm. This was unlike anything I had experienced before. They felt as if they were a little distance above my head; that's how I perceived it at the time. 
For all I knew they could have been operating from thousands of miles away. I couldn't see them but I could hear them and, more importantly, I could feel them and smell them. There were five distinct intelligences and each one gave off his or its own particular odour. 
The intelligences did not tell me who they were, but two of them said they had always been my spirit guides, and two others were entities that were not of this earth but were involved in missions here as watchers and nurturers of our race. The other intelligence was the projected consciousness of a man living in a physical body on earth. They communicated many things to me, most of which I have only just begun to assimilate now.
The following was excerpted from Alien Rock by Michael Luckman:
Dave Davies was inspired by personal contact he had with extraterrestrials in 1982. Dave was preparing for a concert with the British rock group the Kinks when he heard strange voices that struck up a telepathic conversation with him. 

"The intelligences did not tell me who they were," he said, "but two of them said that they had always been my spirit guides, and two others were entities who were not of this Earth, but were involved in missions here as watchers or nurturers of our race."
 
"The intelligences showed me, by some kind of thought projection, things which they have on their spacecraft," said Dave. "They showed me crystal computers that monitor the actions of every single person living on Earth." 

Davies told me (the author) that he thought it was a "cool idea" for rock stars to join forces in an attempt to contact ETs---especially at this challenging time in Earth's history.  
Davies wrote in greater depth at his site on the Spiritual Planet (now defunct). He also had articles by/about people like Israel Regardie, Philip K Dick and George King. Davies also ran a message board (now defunct) for people of a similar mystical bent. 

I must say I'm agnostic on it all, but it's fascinating to me how many pioneering artists (and non-artists) have claimed to have strange and powerful metaphysical experiences. It could all be a by-product/malfunction of the creative mind or it could be that there are forces at work using these type of pioneering types to push the culture along. I'm open to both arguments.

Unlike Dick's experience, Davies' experience might have a more earthbound explanation; it took place at an airport hotel in the heart of Spook Country, located close to the now-decommissioned Naval Radio Transmitting Facility in Driver, Virginia. 

It's unlikely that the Navy was beaming transmissions into the brain of an aging rock star in order to inspire a religious reawakening. But Davies is... well, let's say a bit eccentric, and had been known to abuse a substance or two. Or five. 

 

Bonus 60s nostalgia-blast: The Byrds' abductee-wannabe anthem "Hey, Mr. Spaceman."