2022-06-24

OK, I'm on a big Stoner Metal kick now.

 

I guess I watched too many Mastodon videos because YouTube's algorithm has been throwing me a ton of Stoner Metal vids from this year's Hellfest, and now I'm lost in a new musical rabbithole. And now you will be too.

It's weird, though: I'm old enough to remember when "stoner" and "metal" would essentially be synonymous.


I'd never heard of Red Fang before and I'm kicking myself for not discovering them earlier. This band rocks like you wouldn't believe, which is kind of amusing since the lead singer/bassist reminds me of Stephen Tobolowsky jamming with Corrosion of Conformity.



These guys remind me of a bunch of Swedish IT guys who jam on their days off, but they kick ass in a serious yet almost understated fashion. Might be my favorite of the newer bands.




I'm a bit on the fence with these guys: I really like the playing but not so much the singing. Either way the playing is prog-o-licious in a stoner and metallic way.


Everyone recommends this band to me and tell me they like them better than Mastodon. Baroness sound very cool, but maybe a bit too controlled for me. I don't sense the pedal being truly put to the Heavy Metal. I need to hear more, perhaps.



I'm digging these guys as well, even if they come off a little Molly Hatchet for my tastes. Very strong Boomer-Rock energy, though not necessarily in a bad way.



I lost touch with this band after really feeling this session. I need to see what's what with the Hobos these days. But "Trans Am Sunday" might be one of the greatest rock epics I've ever heard.



Apparently these cats are Stoner Metal? Or aren't they? I don't know, there are too many sub-genres for me to keep track of anymore. But this scorcher IS MY JAM, and ties quite well into the overall Secret Sun weltanschauung.

Here, look:

I used to work for Doc Tyrell
It didn't end so well
Been misbehaving since the Tannhäusser Gate

Quit now, you won't regret
But you got to take that first step
You strike me as the type who honestly appreciates

Electromagnetic pulses in my veins
Nothing ventured, nothing gained
Red alert, Boss Metal Zone
Red alert

The greatest living science fiction writer in the world
You're looking at him, yeah you're looking at him
You'd make a great companion, on a fantastic voyage
So, what do ya say? Yeah, what do ya say?

How many heartbeats are there left for the record?
Can you pass the Voight-Kampff test under emotional stress?
Are you familiar with the Roy Batty method?

Electromagnetic pulses in my veins
Nothing ventured, nothing gained
Red alert, Boss Metal Zone
Red alert

Feed me Metal in the comments, people - STONER METAL.

8 comments:

  1. First, I have to mention south Louisiana legends, Acid Bath. While not 100% pure stoner/doom, they have doom aplenty in addition to their wide-ranging influences. You might not care for the more extreme speedier stuff, but they are still well worth a try. "The Blue", "Paegan Love Song", "Bleed Me an Ocean", "Graveflower". In fact, just give their only 2 albums a spin; both on Spotify. There might be a lot of other stuff that will surprise you. NO ONE sounds like Acid Bath. And Dax's voice, geez... A real 90s local phenomenon that almost broke out, if not for tragedy.

    (On that, you could go off on a Louisiana metal tangent. Down---including members of COC, Crowbar, and Pantera---is super stoner and groovy. On a more wild tangent, you might want to look into Dax Riggs' solo material; albums "We Sing of Only Blood or Love", and "Say Goodnight to the World")

    Also, really not stoner or metal at all, but this song is most definitely--unintentionally--stoner/doom adjacent:
    Jesse Cotton Stone - "Love Like Poison"
    https://youtu.be/1RGnA1-_4J4
    That dirty riff... Pardon the older recording. You really just have to see this guy live. He channels the spirits as a profession.
    (More tangents, but I really can't help but try and spread the word on this guy. Much better sound quality stuff:
    "Bleed" - https://youtu.be/D7Pv0dA8E_8
    "Can't Hang On (Acid Version)" - https://youtu.be/1UmEiW5LxUU
    He's the genuine article. Tours constantly. If he ever makes it up in your area, I'll let you know. He blows people away everywhere he goes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure Shamus, Dax Riggs voice is incredible! His solo stuff gets heavy rotation with me, highly recommend his stuff, too!

      Chris, I agree with you on Baroness. I am a huge Mastodon fan, couldn't get into Baroness. Love Clutch and Red Fang though!

      Delete
    2. Yea, I've been spinning Dax and Mike's Agents of Oblivion album a lot lately. Even better than I remembered, but damn man, some of the bleakest music I've ever heard, especially in retrospect. Back in the day, I guess we were all just super-enthusiastic for our home-town heroes and took it more lightly.

      Delete
  2. i imagine you know Sleep. The locals only stoner metal band in the bay area is called Glitter Wizard - don't really know if they qualify or not I'm not super into the genre...yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Down were the first band I ever heard called Stoner. Sleep might well have inched in ahead of them. Lately I been jamming High Tension a lot, thick, riffy grooves but sort of a Black metal vocal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is probably a little old, but Neurosis has always been my go to for the genre. Enemy of the Sun and Through Silver in Blood are phenomenal albums. Some other goodies sprinkled in their catalog but those two are gems. I would encourage a listen to anyone who isn't familiar with them.

    Really happy you worked some Clutch into this post too btw. Those fellas can cook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone listen to Trip Villain?
    Check out the songs 'Won' and 'Is This Love?'

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't vouch for their whole catalogue, but "Bloodmoon: I" by Converge is amazing and arguably fits the request. Collaboration with Chelsea Wolfe and amazing, atmospheric metal beginning to end!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your secret history.